Sunday 20 March 2016

Let It Glow! A Guide To Highlighters


Hey guys,

As we know, highlighting or "strobing" is all the rage right now and almost every brand seem to have their own take on the little babe so I thought I would share my favourite highlighters from my collection and sadly one who is no longer with us. RIP Mary Lou-manizer (she smashed, its not discontinued!)

ABH Glow Kit

I am a bit of a highlighter fiend, if there is a new launch or a new shade added to a brand that looks good then I need to have it. As with most products nowadays, there is something for everyone whether you like a certain shade i.e. pink shimmer, champagne, white glow, golden hues etc, if you want subtle or full on glamour or if you want cream or powder. I personally prefer a full on powder highlight and if its only for work, then I will blend it out but I don’t care what day it is, what time of year it is, I WANT TO GLOW! 

Tanya Burr Peachy Glow

I dont like telling people what to do when it comes to their makeup as its their choice but I do like to advise them or tell them how I personally apply products but when it comes to highlighting, it’s pretty much up to you. I like to highlight my cheekbones, above and below my brow to make them pop, the tip and bridge of my nose, and a little on my cupids bow and forehead but if I am going for a "no makeup" look I like to add a little to the apples of my cheeks (gasp! a cardinal sin but I dont care, I like it) as well as my eyelids but it’s honestly up to you. I know people who literally pour it over their face and then sweep the excess away with a brush as they want to be lit, that’s a bit much in my opinion but if you have certain areas on your face that you want to stand out then go for it! I wouldn’t highlight blemishes though as we do not want them to stand out!

I have tried a lot of highlighters, some I loved at the time but then changed my mind as I found something better but at this particular moment in time, the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors and the ABH Glow Kits are some of the best on the market. Dont think this post is all about high end products either, there is something in everyone’s price range so I am going to dive straight in. 

Makeup Revolution Pro Illuminate
Makeup Revolution Pro Illuminate
Makeup Revolution Pro Illuminate (£4)
I know what you’re thinking, its £4, it must be shit! Trust me, it’s not. Makeup Revolution are a brand who are conquering the makeup world. Every Youtuber, blogger and person with any sense loves this brand as they take high-end products and make them affordable without losing the quality. This highlighter is no different. When I put this on my cheekbones, I literally took a step back from the mirror and just gasped! Actually gasped. It is so beautiful, it is velvety soft and blends to perfection whilst giving off the most beautiful golden highlight. A must have highlighter for anyone, trust me, take that spare £4 you have in your pocket, march right up to Superdrug and buy immediately. If that’s not possible, buy it straight from the website.

Tanya Burr Peachy Glow Cheek Palette
Tanya Burr Peachy Glow Cheek Palette
Peachy Glow Cheek Palette
Tanya Burr Peachy Glow Cheek Palette
Tanya Burr Peachy Glow
Tanya Burr Peachy Glow Cheek Palette
We all know and love Tanya Burr, she is the bubbly Youtuber who keeps us coming back for more when it comes to her makeup looks and gorgeous personality but it’s her makeup line that has been the biggest surprise for me as I expected it to be cheap and nasty but I was wrong. I picked this contour, blush and highlight palette up some time ago and I have loved it from its very first use. This for me, is quite subtle but it is geared towards a younger audience so maybe that’s why it’s not as lit as I would like. That’s not to say I don’t like it, I love it for lazy days or when I really can’t be arsed putting on a full face but I would recommend this to my younger sister rather than a friend my own age. The highlight itself gives a champagne finish.

Mac Mineralise Skinfinish
Mac Mineralise Skinfinish
Mac Skinfinish
Mac Mineralise Skinfinish
MAC Soft and Gentle
Mac Mineralise Skinfinish
MAC Mineralise Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle (£24)
This is a luxurious, slow-baked, velvety soft, powder which gives a radiant finish. When I first starting using this, I thought the highlight was so strong but after trying other brands, I find this to be quite subtle. I know, if you have tried this you are probably thinking what?? But for me it’s true. I love the soft peach bronze tones to this and when it’s caught in the light you can really notice each colour within the powder.  

Becca Skin Perfectors
Becca Skin Perfectors
Pearl, Opal and Champagne Pop
Becca Skin Perfectors in Pearl, Opal and Champagne Pop

Becca Highlighter Swatches
Becca Skin Perfectors in Pearl, Opal and Champagne Pop
Becca Pearl, Opal and Champagne Pop Swatches
Becca Skin Perfectors in Pearl, Opal and Champagne Pop
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector ($38)
The crème de la crème. There is a reason why these bad boys sell out instantly and why almost every blogger raves about them and that’s because the glow coming from these highlighters is unlike anything else. It honestly looks as though you have dipped your cheekbones in a high shine gloss without all that stickiness but with all the shine. This is the sort of highlighter I die for, it does what it says on the tin and leaves me longing for more as its silky soft, creamy (it’s a powder but you know what I mean) and just slays everything else on the market, that’s my opinion anyway. If you have already fell hook, line and sinker for highlighters and haven’t tried this, I would suggest buying immediately, you won’t regret it. I have the shade Pearl which is very pale and almost a full blown white shade, it doesn’t look like much but trust me when I say it’s gorgeous. I also have Opal which is a golden peach toned highlighter and Jaclyn Hills Champagne Pop (£32) which is a soft white gold with pinky peach undertones. All 3 shades bring something different to the table, but all of them are out of this world.

Gleam Glow Kit
ABH Glow Kit in Gleam
Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit
ABH Glow Kit in Gleam
Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit (£39)
This kit has been on my wish list since i first heard of the launch but as with everything amazing, it was released everywhere before the UK so there was a bit of a wait. I picked up the Gleam kit as it was more suited to my skin tone. There are 4 shades within this little beauty, so its good value for money. The shades are: Hard Candy (a golden peach with pink, pearlescent particles), Mimosa (a golden peach with a metallic finish), Starburst (a cool pink with an iridescent finish) and Crushed Pearl (a glimmering pink and silver with a crystalised, chrome finish). I feel this kit is suitable for all skin tones but they also have That Glow which is full of golden toned highlighters which are perfect for darker skin tones. The colour payoff is amazing, the powder itself is velvety soft and they give your face the most intense highlight ever!

Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Glow
Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Glow
Charlotte Tilbury Contour Palette
Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Glow
Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Glow Swatch
Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Glow
I have never been so disappointed in a product as I was with this. My other half bought it for my birthday and I love the bronzer but the highlight may as well not be there. I have tried and tried with this highlighter, sometimes I like it, but I think thats a fluke as most of the time I honestly don’t see any difference when applied so I only use the contour side of the expensive palette for chiselling out my cheekbones when I want a strong contour. It also the most powder like from my collection, it sort of just sits on the sin which i dont like.

I hope you have enjoyed this post. I love highlighters, not so much the cream ones but give me a powder highlighter and I will scurry off into a corner somewhere with a big Cheshire grin on my face. They are here to stay for the foreseeable future so it is worthwhile checking out a few, especially since the good weather is coming in. Also, dont just stick to your face when it comes to highlighting, you could also pop some on your collarbone or down your arms to add some extra glow.

Have you checked out my latest post featuring Organic Skincare and Makeup?
I can also be found on Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram |
* Some links may be affiliates but all thoughts are unbiased and 100% honest,
*Please click links on pictures for source.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. That ABH glow kit looks fab & I'll have to buy it! I'd also recommend Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight! xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try that, i have heard about it for years and never boyhered buying it. I would definitely recommend ABH one though, its to die for xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these products! I don't have many highlighters in my makeup collection but I love learning more about them and am always interested in buying more! Great reviews :) xoxo

    ~ Nicole
    www.nicolevaidosa.com
    www.instagram.com/nicolevaidosa

    ReplyDelete

Blogger templates by pipdig