Monday 29 June 2015

Scottish Scran | West Brewery

West Brewery in Glasgow


West Brewery Menu
West Brewery Menu

West Brewery Jager Schnitzel
West Brewery Jager Schnitzel

West Brewery Slow Cooked Beef Cheek with Creamed Potatoes, Carrot Puree and Gravy
West Brewery Slow Cooked Beef Cheek with Creamed Potatoes, Carrot Puree and Gravy

West Brewery Black Forest Gateau
West Brewery Black Forest Gateau

Hi everyone,

As you may know it was my partner, Liam`s 30th birthday in May but he was sadly working until the end of the month so I organised a few surprise days out for him for every weekend he was home including dog racing at Shawfield Greyhounds with our friends and family, paintballing at Delta Force with his closest friends and then a little day out with me at the West Brewery in Glasgow. This is a German/Scottish brewery which came to Glasgow nine years ago after being dreamt up by the beautiful Petra and let me tell you, those Germans know what they are doing when it comes to beer, I don’t even like the stuff and I still managed to drink a few and appreciate them.

I had never heard of the West Brewery but if you’re from Glasgow then you will be familiar with the Templeton Building in Glasgow Green which is where this hidden gem is situated. We went along for lunch at 1pm and we were gobsmacked at how beautiful the restaurant was. It was very spacious with a gorgeous piano in the middle of the bar area and a lot of seats to park bums. Lunch was mind-blowing and was quickly served by the friendly staff. We skipped starters and went straight to the mains; I had the jager schnitzel which was a pork dish with a gorgeous mushroom sauce, fries and salad. This dish was marvellous! It was so tasty and filled me up quickly. If you love pork and mushrooms then I would definitely order this. Liam ordered a meal from the specials board which was the beef cheek dish, he devoured this and claimed it was one of the best meals he`s had so I would say it was a 10/10 dish. For dessert I had the black forest gateau and ice cream and Liam had the apple strudel, both were inhaled within minutes!

After a few drinks in the bar we then went along to the beer tour (£11.50pp) which lasted 45 minutes and was so informative. Liam has a brewing kit at home and tries to make some beers every so often but he learned a lot from our tour guide, Klaus, as did I. All of their beers are brewed in strict accordance with the time-honoured traditions of the 1516 German Purity Law, meaning that every WEST beer is the product of carefully sourced barley, hops, yeast and water, and absolutely nothing else. After seeing how they brewed their gorgeous beers we went back up to the bar area and tried four small glasses of their beers including the Munich Red (4.9%), West 4 (4.0%) and St Mungo (4.9%). I actually surprised myself as I loved the Munich Red and West 4 due to the pungent taste. I normally hate beer but I would order both of these again.

During the beer tour we met a few people who we ended up drinking with for the duration of the day. It was a great day out and Liam thoroughly enjoyed his birthday treat so if you have someone in your life with a birthday or celebration coming up I would suggest booking the tour and lunch as it is a great experience. They offer tours for small numbers or for large groups and it is different and fun! The food is exquisite and inexpensive, they have a wide range of drinks to suit everyone`s tastes, a gorgeous atmosphere, amazing staff, beer garden and a touring option! What’s not to like.

Have you ever been here before?

Would you ever go on a beer tour?

Have you checked out my latest post featuring A New Sheet Mask
I can also be found on Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | 
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I love the West Brewery and have had some delicious meals there and some great nights out but have never done the brewery tour. This is def now on my wish list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it until my pal Heather told me about it but Liam loved it and the food was fab. You really need to do the tour, its only short but if its a good crowd then you will have fun just chatting away xx

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of the West Brewery but I'd love to try it some day after reading this! It's a shame Father's day has just passed as I'm sure my dad would have loved to go here and do the tour. Ahh well maybe next year. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great Fathers Day gift, Christmas gift or Birthday gift, i think if they are getting to try their 4 best selling beers any man would be happy haha xx

      Delete

Blogger templates by pipdig