Thursday 4 September 2014

The Bathory | Invent Your Own Bath Salts

The Bathory
The Bathory
Invent Your Own Bathsalts
The Bathory
Bathsalts
These products were not sent to me, i bought them with my own money. Please see my full disclaimer here.

Hi guys,

Yes, you did read that title right, you can now invent your own bath salts. I am all for bath salts, granted I haven’t tried a lot as I love my trusty £1 Radox ones but that doesn’t stop me from reading a shit ton of reviews to see if anything would come close to these and then I found a link to The Bathory. As soon as I knew it was a possibility to make your own, I headed straight to the website and had a little look at what they had to offer. 

The Bathory products are all hand blended in England and use organic oils as well as pure and natural ingredients. Now as I said, I am a Radox Herbal Bath Salts (£1.05) lover, I have been for years. They are a brand I trust and buy from over and over again so I am sceptical when I hear about other “amazing” brands. The Radox bath salts help to relax me, they smell amazing and they really do help to ease muscle pain. But I was intrigued by The Bathory and decided to bite the expensive bullet.

The bath salts themselves are quite expensive I mean a 200g jar is $30 (£18) with a $5 delivery fee for each item, not a bulk order. This is quite a lot, especially when their main contender, in my opinion, is only £1. I don’t know why everything is in dollars as they are an English company but hey ho. They do deliver worldwide so maybe it has something to do with that, but I honestly don’t know.

My favourite part of the whole process was obviously the inventing stage but I was overwhelmed with the choices, there are just so bloomin many. Anyway, the first thing you do is choose the blend of salts you want to use which are Bath, Soothe or Detox. You then choose up to 3 oils which are listed below. There is a guide to oils and blends online but I will give you a brief rundown.

The Blends: 
Bask 
This is for all you luxurious folks out there. It contains 3 salts including Epsom, Himalayan and Dead Sea Salts. These work by relaxing your muscles, reducing stress and improving your sleep.

Soothe 
This is to relax all you stressed out ladies and gents but also hydrates your skin. It contain Epsom salts, buttermilk, honey and oats which softens your skin, flushes out toxins and nourishes your body.

Detox
This contains Epsom salts and Rhassoul Clay which is used in the Turkish baths. This flushes out toxins in the body, eases stress and also detoxes your body.

The Oils:

Bergamot - The Uplifting One
Is also known as a natural antidepressant

Chamomile - The Calming One
Calms and soothes.

Eucalyptus - The Reviving One
With antiseptic properties.

Frankincense - The Spicy One
Calms.

Grapefruit - The Inspiring One
Makes you feel confident and revived.

Lavender - The Relaxing One
A stress buster which is also an insomniac’s best friend.

Lemon - The Zingy One
An antibacterial which helps with colds.

Rosemary - The Magical One
Mentally stimulating and helps to improve your memory.

Sandalwood - The Exotic One
Known for calming and also used as an aphrodisiac.

Ylang Ylang - The Sexy One
Same as Sandalwood. Used in wedding suites in Indonesia.

I chose the Detox option which has a blend of Pure Epsom Salts and Rhassoul Clay. I then added Bergamot, Frankincense and Ylang Ylang because you all know by now these are my 3 favourite scents. They took 2 days to arrive which was excellent and when I got the parcel from the postman I was surprised at how pungent the smell was, it was bloody strong!

Once I opened the box, I was as happy with the final product as it smelled like a dream. I instantly ran myself a bath and read the back of the package to see how it was to be used. For $30, I expected to get a lot of uses out of this small tub but I was advised to use 25% for a quick fix, 50% for full benefits or the full jar for the best bath of my life. A WHOLE JAR? It better be the best bath ever for $35 a whip pal or I won’t be happy.

Anyway, I decided on 25% to start me off. The smell was quite strong when it first hit the water but within a few minutes, it completely disappeared. The bath itself was nice and I felt ready for a good long sleep afterwards but I wanted more from the salts, I wanted my skin to feel silky soft and I wanted to feel more relaxed. After the first bath I was bitterly disappointed, I was quite angry that I had spent this amount of money on something for it to give off mediocre results.

I decided to just use the rest of the jar to see how it fared and if truth be told, it was a little better. The oils stayed with me throughout my bathing experience, which lasted about 45 minutes as I kept filling up the tub and drifting off. I felt super relaxed and couldn’t even lift my book high enough to read so I rested my head on my bath pillow instead and enjoyed myself. After the bath I felt so relaxed and was ready to hit the hay. That night I had an amazing sleep which probably lasted 10 hours. 

I think I am so used to Radox that I want my skin to feel baby soft and this just didn’t offer it, even after using 75%. Although this was way better than the first bath I don’t think I could justify buying another jar as it felt very expensive for what I got. I didnt get the "Detox" experience it was talking about either.

I think for $30 the product could have been a little larger, it could have come with a little scooper so you can measure out the salts and the oils could have lasted a little longer. I do think if I used the whole tub I would have had a fantastic bath but it would have been nowhere near the best. I can’t justify spending $35 on something and only using it once or twice, especially when I can get a far better experience for only £1 and have a box last 4 – 6 baths.

Have you tried these bath salts before?
Have you heard of this brand?
Do you have any recommendations?
Let me know in the comments below guys.

Have you checked out my latest post featuring My Current Skincare Routine?
I can also be found on Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram |


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I really like idea of inventing your own mix! Sounds like the end results were a bit disappointing and like you say - expensive for just one or two uses! :) x

    Brenda | www.brendabusybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i just expected a bit too much but yeah they are expensive. I might try the hydrating one to see how that fairs but i did not like the detox one at all xx

      Delete
  2. What a cool concept for a website! I'm say that the experience wasn't more enjoyable in the tub. Maybe the other company will be better!
    xo
    Tiffy
    CuteLA.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good idea but as i say the end results for me where a bit of a let down xx

      Delete
  3. Ohhh that sounds amazing, i may have to do the same thing haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, i will check it out later on tonight xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger templates by pipdig