Thursday 5 June 2014

Healthy Foods | Spirulina

Spirulina
Spirulina - Is it for me?
Hi Guys

Since January I have tried to better my diet and get as many nutrients, vitamins & minerals in my system as possible so I spoke to my friend Sarah who is a massive Raw Food & Vegan enthusiast. She seems to know so much about food and all of the goodness they have tucked inside them so obviously I ran right round to her house and had a chat (I didn't run, that was a lie, I casually strolled my way through the 10 minute walk).

I told her some of the things which were concerning me, obviously my weight first of all, heartburn from everything that was passing my lips even water and a few more break outs on my face than I was used to. She recommended some goodies for me to incorporate into my diet which would help and clear up some of my concerns so I thought I would give them a go and see how I got on.

The first foody item she spoke about to combat my heartburn problem and just give me some nutrients & vitamins was Spirulina, for anyone who has never heard of this it’s a green algae which is a complete protein containing about 60% protein so it’s a great source of amino acids (our body needs these). It also contains a lot of vitamins and minerals such as; vitamin A, B6, B12, C, D, E & K, Riboflavin, Calcium, iron, magnesium amongst others so this would also clear up my skin and just infuse my body with so much goodness. Now I’m not gonna pretend I know what all of these things do for the body exactly but I know they will be good. I’m also anaemic so this is perfect for me as it contains iron.

A snippet of information from Rainforest Foods:

"Product Information - What is Spirulina?
Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) is a strain of spiral blue-green algae that contains a wide range of nutrients and flourishes in subtropical and tropical waters. Spirulina occurs naturally in South America, where it was harvested from high-altitude lakes by the Aztecs. There is a tradition of harvesting Spirulina in central Africa, and it remains a staple food in several Asian cuisines.
Two notable components of Spirulina are the green pigment Chlorophyll and Phycocyanin. Spirulina contains Vitamins A, B3, B12, and E and minerals which include Chromium, Iodine, Iron, Manganese and Phosphorous.

Production - How it's made
Rainforest Foods Spirulina is produced organically on an island in the South China Sea using photosynthesis, the natural process by which plants absorb energy from sunlight. Batches of algae grow, multiplying naturally and rapidly in pools of pure water. They are harvested when they reach the required density. Once harvested, the Spirulina is dried and milled to powder.

The tablets are made by compressing pure organic Spirulina powder into tablets. Rainforest Foods Spirulina tablets do not contain bulking agents such as magnesium stearate or any other ingredients. They are 100% pure Spirulina, with nothing added and nothing taken away.”

Rainforest Foods
Soya Free, Yeast Free, Gluten Free, GMO Free, Dairy Free & Vegan Friendly



I'm not gonna lie, this tastes DISGUSTING! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy BUT mixing 1tsp into some fresh orange juice in the morning and gulping it down it’s not so bad. I have been adding 3/4tsp to orange juice in the morning and gulping back and then adding the other 1/4tsp into a smoothie so I get the intended dose.

I have noticed considerable difference in my skin although this could be down to good skincare products but I think if you put goodness into your body then it reflects this and I feel Spirulina has a lot to do with that in my instance. I would definitely recommend this as it gives a major boost to your system and it’s so easy to find online or in health food shops such as Holland & Barrett. Shop around though as some places are a little cheaper than others. The link above is for Amazon which seems to be ok price wise.

I have now moved onto the tablet form as my packet of powder is now finished. These dont taste anywhere near as bad as the powder. You are supposed to take 6 of these bad boys every morning and off you go... no more heartburn and a lot of green goodness! All in all, this is great. I have used it since January and I don’t think I would stop taking this on a daily basis. My heartburn hasn't flared up once and I’m now able to enjoy a glass of water without wanting to die (dramatic I know).


For anyone who is interested in great vegan/raw food recipes then head over to Sarah's Instagram page as she is so talented at creating great tasting food.

Have you checked out my latest post featuring my May Skincare Favourites?
I can also be found on Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | 

*Please click links on pictures for source.
* Some links may be affiliates but all thoughts are unbiased and 100% honest,
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger templates by pipdig