Monday 27 July 2015

Mussels in a Lightly Spiced Vietnamese Broth

Mussels in a Lightly Spiced Vietnamese Broth


Recipe


Mussels Recipe


Posh Pickles


Hi guys, 

I just came back from the Lake District yesterday where I was visiting two of my best friends who moved there a while ago, it was such a great, relaxing weekend but it’s time to get back to reality. I recently posted my Mussels dish to Instagram and you went crazy for it so I decided to put together a recipe for you. I did use more of the Posh Pickles SaVa Tu`o`ng o`t V Relish* as I loved using it in my Vegetarian Vietnamese Soup but I wanted to try something different. I was going through my local Morrison’s and stopped at the fish section to pick up some seabass and saw a huge bag of fresh mussels still in their shells and that’s when I knew what I wanted to do with this relish.

Mussels are a thing of beauty, I adore seafood and eat it as much as I possibly can as its super healthy and it tastes amazing. You will notice in my recipe that I have used some of the ingredients that are already in the relish but I always double up on flavour when I use a premade product as I want to make the dish to sing and as this was a main meal I really wanted it to pack a punch. This recipe serves two people for a main with some fries or bread or both.

Ingredients
2 x Small Brown Onions (or 1 large one), finely sliced
2 x Garlic Cloves, finely sliced
2 Inch Piece of Fresh Ginger, julienne style
1 x Green Pepper, finely sliced
1 x Red Chilli, sliced
1 x Can of Coconut Milk
Glug of water to stop it becoming too thick
Soy Sauce
1 Tbsps. Fish Sauce
1 kg of fresh mussels (ask fishmonger to clean and prepare them for you)
Zest and juice of a lime 

Method:
Use a large, deep pot with a lid as you will be steaming the mussels in the sauce once it’s ready. 
To a large pot add some olive oil and finely sliced onions. Allow to cook out on a medium/high heat until nicely coloured.
Add the relish to onions and leave to cook out for a few minutes to awaken the flavours.
Add in garlic, ginger, peppers, red chilli and coconut milk. Give it all a good stir to make sure it’s mixed.
Leave for a few minutes before adding fish sauce, lime zest & soy sauce. I added the water at this stage too as it was looking a little thick, I also added in a small amount of garlic puree as I am a garlic fiend but you can skip this step if you are not as keen on it. 
Leave the sauce to cook out for 10 minutes to let all the flavours infuse, give a stir and then add in your mussels and lime juice.
Put a lid on top or something to cover the pot as you want the mussels to steam. I left mine for 4 minutes as the shells were open. Discard any that are still closed.
 Fill a bowl with your delicious mussels, throw over some coriander (if you want to make it even prettier) and serve with some crusty bread. 


You will notice that I didn’t add any additional salt or pepper as I felt mines was alright on the seasoning front as I had the fish sauce, soy sauce and the mussels which are pretty salty without adding more and overpowering the delicate mussels. As the mussels begin to open they infuse the sauce with the flavour of the sea so when you dig into your sauce it will taste a little different but even better, trust me.


Both Liam and I devoured ours as soon as it was served and he doesn’t even like seafood but he asked to try something different and wanted something lightly spiced to I came up with this. I would make this all the time if I could as it was full of flavour, filled me up and was super easy to make. If you want to give it a go and need to get your hands on the amazing Posh Pickles Relish then click here.

Have you checked out my latest post featuring Male Skincare Products
I can also be found on Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger templates by pipdig